Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 0 Antworten
und wurde 72 mal aufgerufen
 Beschwerden
wh3171 Offline

Vollzeitflieger, 200 Postings sind bereits erreicht

11.12.2019 04:58
Especially an idealistic Ottawa boy who grew Zitat · Antworten

In April of 1989, a man named Charles Yacoub hijacked a bus with 10 passengers at gunpoint in Montreal. Cheap Marlins Jerseys . He forced the driver to take him to Parliament Hill. I was one month into my career, a cub news reporter at CJOH, the local CTV station in Ottawa. This would be the first major story Id cover. The bus ended up on the front lawn of The Parliament Buildings, right in front of the Peace Tower. It would sit there for five tense hours, with Yacoub and the hostages inside. He would eventually surrender—and in a very strange trial I covered—somehow get acquitted of the most of the charges, including hostage taking (this was my initiation to our justice system). Those images of the bus on the lawn of our Parliament, Yacoub pacing back and forth inside with his gun, were surreal for Canadians. Especially an idealistic Ottawa boy who grew up thinking Parliament Hill was the symbol of our peaceful country. And the place we went for long, boring field trips in elementary school. They locked down the Hill that day, too. I stood with a group of reporters just outside the police perimeter, grabbing streeters (quick interviews) with stunned citizens who all said exactly what we were thinking: How could this happen in Ottawa? We said the same thing six years later, this time through tears, when sportscaster and former NHLer Brian Smith, a friend and local legend, was shot dead as he walked out of our building after doing his 6pm sportscast. The bus hijacking had been shocking, but Smittys death was unfathomable. It couldnt happen in our safe, wonderful, city. No way. But it did. A very sick man named Jeffrey Arenburg thought the media was broadcasting messages through his head. So he drove to our station and shot the first person he recognized. And everybody in Ottawa knew Smitty. Arenburg would be found not criminally responsible for Brians death, and put in a mental institution. He was released a few years later (my re-initiation to our justice system). I thought about both those awful incidents Wednesday, as the frightening--then heartbreaking--news from Ottawa broke piece-by-piece, tweet-by-tweet. It felt familiar in the worst possible way. But not shocking. That word slipped away after 9/11. We almost expect these horrific acts to happen now. Its only the when and where that catch us off-guard. Our parents generation grew up fearing wars. We fear being at the wrong place at the wrong time, when some lunatic decides to make his statement. Nathan Cirillo knew there was risk when he became a soldier, but not today. Not in Ottawa and not standing in front of a monument with an unarmed weapon, ready to smile and pose with tourists. We feel sick for his family. His friends. We tweet condolences, which never feel like enough. I cover sports for a living. I wont attempt to offer an opinion on the issues that stem from what happened today—terrorism, politics, religion, national security, etc. You can find plenty of that elsewhere. What I do know is that when that bus hijacking happened in 89, and more so when Smitty was killed, we felt like Ottawa would never be the same…like it was somehow tarnished. But those feelings fade in time. And they will again. I was back in town this past weekend for the Senators opener and Homecoming at Carleton University. It was spectacular. I took my parents for breakfast at Dalys, my favourite buffet right across from Parliament Hill. I drank beer with old friends, and screamed my lungs out with students dressed as Penguins (I have no idea) at the Ravens game. My hometown is hurting tonight and there are a lot of questions to be answered. But dont question this: Ottawa is a great city with great people. It was this morning. It is tonight. And it always will be. Miami Marlins Store . Balotelli was out at dinner with his brother Enoch and came home to discover he had been burgled. The car was later found abandoned. Balotelli wrote Saturday on Twitter: "I feel empty! No emotions . Billy McMillon Jersey . 4 jersey of former defenseman Rob Blake this coming season. The ceremony will take place prior to the Kings January 17 game against Anaheim. https://www.cheapmarlinsjerseys.us/1131r-bob-natal-jersey-marlins.html . Nathan Beaulieu, Tomas Jurco, Danick Gauthier and Jonathan Huberdeau had a goal and an assist each as the Sea Dogs extended the longest streak in the Canadian Hockey League this season.PHOENIX - The Arizona Diamondbacks have acquired right-hander Jeremy Hellickson from the Tampa Bay Rays.The trade, announced Friday night, is the first major move by new Diamondbacks General Manager Dave Stewart. The Diamondbacks sent Tampa Bay two minor league prospects, infielder Andrew Velazquez and outfielder Justin Williams.Hellickson, the American League Rookie of the Year in 2010, has a 40-36 career record and a 3.78 ERA in 115 appearances, 108 starts, in five seasons with the Rays.He began the 2014 season on the disabled list and went 1-5 with a 4.52 ERA. Hellickson won a Gold Glove Award in 2012.Stewart said at this weeks general manager meetings that acquiring a starting pitcher was a top priority. Hellickson had been mentioned prominently in trade rumours at the meetings, with Milwaukee considered a possible destination.The Diamondbacks are coming off an awful season, finishing with the worst record in the majors at 64-98. Manager Kirk Gibson was fired and general manager Kevin Towers reassigned. Towers subsequently quit and Tony La Russa, who took over during the season as head of baseball operations, hired Stewart.The 27-year-olld Hellickson, 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds, started out well after coming off the DL last season, going 1-1 in five starts with a 2. Jeff Conine Jersey. 03 ERA, but struggled the rest of the way.He won the rookie of the year award after going 13-10 with a 2.95 ERA in 2011. He is arbitration eligible this year and would become in 2017. He earned $3.625 million on a one-year contract last season.Hellickson had a career-high 135 strikeouts in 2013, going 12-10 but his ERA was a career-worst 5.17.With three young shortstops at the major league level — Chris Owings, Didi Gregorius and Nick Ahmed — the Diamondbacks decided to part with the 5-foot-8 Velazquez, an intriguing prospect who reached base in a minor league record 74 consecutive games last season for the low Class-A South Bend Silver Hawks. The 20-year-old, who also plays second base, hit .290 with 18 doubles, 15 triples, nine home runs, 56 RBIs and 50 stolen bases in 134 games.Velazquez was named the Midwestern League prospect of the year.The 19-year-old Williams hit .351 with 12 doubles, five triples, four home runs and 46 RBIs in 74 games with rookie league Missoula and South Bend. ' ' '

Sprung  
Infos zum Thema Fluglärm unter liesing.fluglaerm.at                   Beschwerdemail-Expresslink  Beschwerde.fluglaerm.at
Xobor Erstelle ein eigenes Forum mit Xobor
Datenschutz